Friday, February 10, 2012



AN ASSESSMENT



At the beginning of each year, or at the end of the last one, it is a a natural thing to do to ask yourself to sort of assess the old year before the new one moves on. It is February now and I find myself analyzing my Serama chicken project.


Even though I enjoy going to poultry shows and try to breed good type Serama chickens, that is not my main pleasure. I just enjoy my chickens, mostly my favorites: Queenie. Ms. Chockolatte, and Blondie. Those are my favorite hens. I don't have any favorite roosters though, but I especially care about the ones I use for breeding. The problem is that my breeding project is getting in the way of my pleasure.


When I started, my goal was to breed good type chickens and very small ones. I guess that is still my goal and this year I find I have some really good roosters, about four that are show quality, and some very small ones all of good type too! I have some small hens A type, and one hen I consider show quality. So perhaps my original goal is being met, but is it too much work and not enough pleasure? At the end of this year, I might have an answer.


MY PLEASURES



The Andrew Sisters - my retired Laying Leghorn Ladies - there are non better!

Miss Chocolatte REALLY loves her fountain.


My favorite Seramas, Blondie and Black Betty and Bug, the rooster in their soon to be upgraded summer home.


No comments:

Post a Comment