Saturday, July 21, 2012

SUMMER UPDATE


Here we are in the second half of July. The weather is definitely livable as opposed to the winter months but it goes by so fast.

Who passed away this year? Little Lumpy, my hope for a pure white rooster,
Chester, my new acquisition and hope for bigger chests in my American Seramas, and he left no genes behind. Ms. Apple who came with Chester, she left no genes behind either. My little blackish rooster, sweet, father of Black Betty, and my hope for a totally black rooster. The last of my lovely laying leghorn ladies, Ms. Gray, My young, small, blue laced golden cocopop.rooster, hope for better chickens in the future, who actually left one, just one chick behind. He was killed by raccoons that also got five other roosters, along with the hawks who got two.

Who is new? A Black silkie pair, Lucy and Capt. Midnight. Happy, a really good type hen, lone survivor of four newly purchased chickens, and two very large frizzled roosters who are definitely leaving genes behind, and soon to be added, a silkie hen and white rooster with barring.

What is new? Well, since the predator attacks, I don't like to let my chickens out unless I can watch them all day. So I decided to plant wheat grass, oat grass and clover and also herbs and flowers that the chickens might like to eat in small rectangular planters and I take these planters to them in their yard. Chickens really like to eat grass and other greens, so they really enjoy these, even though they practically demolish them.  Then I haul the planters out at the end of the day and try to restore them for a week or two, until I can put them back in the pens.

I also purchased a new incubator as my oldest one no longer kept a reliable temperature.  I purchased a R-com King Suro 20, with automatic temperature and humidity. It works great; I had doubts about the humidity, but no problems with the incubator. These incubators are made in Korea and the web site for these is not usable for Americans, yet.  I thought I would have problems with parts and service but I purchased this incubator on e-bay, and the seller is great. The cradle for turning had problems right away and finally broke about two months after use. I can't access any web site and no telephone numbers are furnished in the user' s manual, but the sellers are really helpful. I couldn't ask for more. They are sending a part right away. I also considered getting a Brinsea 20, but I found that this company has terrible customer service and so I avoid buying their products, even though I think they are very good. I have two Brinsea mini advance incubators and they are chugging away after three years.

I have lots of chicks now for my small hobby farm, about 40, with about 40 more to come, and that is more than enough for me to sort out and take care of.


I hope the rest of the summer is enjoyable for you. Try to get some sun and some fun!

1 comment:

  1. Well Mom I enjoyed this post. It is good that your chickens have a decent life though they like all animals live in a kingdom which may cut short a life but in that process the greater life moves on. Perhaps you should make racoon pie, perhaps it will taste like chicken :) Anyway lets talk soon. It is getting colder and darker up here in Homer. I am now way behind on restoring that old truck. Miss you much.

    ReplyDelete